Pages

About Me

My photo
Axminster, Axminster, United Kingdom
Serving you with photography for your need and requirements, From Wedding photography to events and fine art. photography tuition workshops

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Shiny Surfaces

The goal is to photograph a very shiny reflective object like a chrome or highly polished steel pot . Pot to big?

In still life and catalogue photography , many Items my be just like the above and demand a great challenge to Eliminate all most if not all refections.

Some use a large light tent where others use big studios with fish flood lighting from the sides through large diffusers. And some adjustment in photoshop.
For this exercise Im using just what is asked, A sheet of tracing or grease proof paper made into  cone .

A week later and I am still waiting for low sun to do the other project.
 Searching for a shiny object. Frustrating to find tracing paper in malaysia , as no one new what I was on about.  Until I found an Art shop that had large sheets.

Now to find that pot or something 18th jan . Alloy yes. Old steel pots yes! new ones . cutlery or thing in the kitchen , all to dull.

20th jan still no shiny objects that I can use. Shiny Idea, looking at the taps. I found a new water tap in my tool box. Just the right size. And a nice shape.  Umm by gone the old days when making witches hats. Fumbling with the tracing paper. i wonder , Am I getting old as this used to be fun and not so much of a challenge . After some effort to get the large tracing paper to a cone. And tape in in a way it would not collapse. I managed to to get the job done using a 60 mm macro lens cutting the narrow end to fit. I used the flash on the camera , and then covering the flash as I did on the previous exercise, used off flash at different angles.

Results Much brighter and no refections only the tracing paper giving over all shade.

Moving the flash did not make that much change , Only when placing it at the base of the cone level with the TAP.
With out diffused 


First mistake. But what a picture! , The inside flap of the paper cone got in the way. 
An idea for special effects.!


 Lit with the camera flash from above.


 Lit with the camera flash from above. 

moving the subject :


 lit mid way to one side 



 Side lit

 Lit from one side and mid way up the cone . 

 Side lighting gives a nice effect The flash was place level with the subject on the floor.
I remember an advert shot just like this of a beer .  Also still life of perfumes .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers