Tuesday, April 20, 2010

4:Lines

Exercise Horisontal and vertical lines. 4 photos of each. Not being the same .

This project I thought would be simple , Landed up being a task. To photograph Vertical lines is simple. They are everywhere.  And very apparent. They stand out over the rest. But where there are vertical lines,  There are Horizontal lines to hold them up. Trying to capture and image, where the line or lines are the first thing your eyes are drawn to. Well that creates another challenge.

Building have many lines. however, as much as I like architecture. Often lines are not always vertical. At least not the ones that catch the eye. Most are going away from you. Look up and they lead away . Some thing in photography I taught my self to avoid . Was Horizontal lines . As they tend to break up a picture or destroy the composition.

Time to break that rule.   Here are the photos I have taken to show this. as said before . Some lines are clearly evident and stand out. But are crossed with others that may waiver the eyes.

Lets see :   The bridge In Brisbane  Clearly Horizontal, Because the bridge does not cut the picture in half, due to the tonal balance, and being slightly lower in the frame. This works.


Lines deliberately to capture lines and the shadows crossing the lines of the wood. Here  the eyes focuses on to the Horizontal lines the larger being most dominant here, before moving off to scan the rest of the image. I feel the eyes are swept to the top right of the frame, Following the shadows.


A window display:
 Aluminum pipes, to give a modern futuristic look, attracted me right away. Noticing these horizontal lines .  I could use this for light and dark . 


Calm Before the storm 
This I could not help noticing the build up of cloud, with this horizontal line of day light managing to squeeze through the clouds, and Islands. 
Again with out cutting the picture in two. The tone of the cloud and of the sea balance well with the islands and water. 



Verticals. 

Feeling we have been here before, in the exercise of frame, format. 

Sat outside where I have breakfast. This wonderful building towers above me in vibrant colour. 
No touch up on these, as it stands as it is. Freshly painted. 
I got a bit carried away with this building. And went back, when the lighting was better, to see what els I could bring out. 
This was my favourite. Taken on A680 compact. set to land scape mode to give maximum depth. 


Verticals are everywhere, more so then horizontals. Although they are there. As the world is made up of them, The Verticals are more dominant. And architects love them. As they make a building look taller. 


Proud and up right, is the statement that come to mind from this building. Taken around 7am I some times think that I take better pictures with my compact then with my SLR. 



 Vertical lines give a sense of high status. This was taken out side the hotel on the river bank of Brisbane Australia. For some reason they asked me to leave . May be some one important was there.

And lastly:
The twin towers in KL. Lines that reach into the night sky. !!Tall relating to success.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers