Tuesday, April 6, 2010

1:Part 2 Elements Of design . Positioning a point.

What is a  Point :

A point of  Focus? mealy the Aim, of the photograph. A place where the photographer wants the Viewer s Eyes to rest. Governing all aspects of the picture, The Point of subject. Not the theme. The place Observed. The main subject or deliberate distraction, Of what is going on. This is my definition and conclusion to this practice.


Quite interesting to read about, how points are made. As looking at the photo of the boats. Its feeling to me, passes emptiness.  I feel a lack of point, or subject in the photo. I feel that something is needed to break the empty space in the middle of the photo. As stated the eye is cheated to move back and forth, without rest. Even from the dominant ship, cannot totally over come the objective.

I have avoided such photographs and many have put aside or rejected. Because of this Viewing mater. I like the single simple approach, or the law of threes. Triangles and loops. One way to cover such a picture, if one has control over the positioning of subject, or framing. Is to move in such a ways so the objects either move, or you set the frame, so that the frame (the Rectangle that you see through the camera) Compliments, or ads composition.

6th march: Read over what I have to do. yesterday I searched for that capture of two object. I covered the next task photographing a face close up.


Its deciding what to use and expresses this subject the best. Reading this Exercise I wondered . Is it one point or two in the picture. Its a single point as in the previous exercise. 

I am going to use deliberate photos I took for this

Exercise:

This photo I took when I was in the UK. Early morning down by the river Axe .

A Duck separated its self from its mate. Looking Isolated in the water. My thoughts was to take this picture to give a relaxed mood. Just bringing the duck to the left of the frame . At fist . I felt when looking at the photo , to edit out the twig at the top. Then I felt by leaving it in, It gave a more feeling of the duck, not being in a mass of water but mealy away from the bank, with out adding to much distraction. This way the duck did not seem lost in the expanse of emptiness. As most pictures read from left to right . If the duck was on the right. It would look to the viewer, The duck was drifting out of the picture. May be it could have just come down a little more.



This exercise has really made me think. As of so many photographs I take, I balance the point with the surroundings. Now I have read over the project time and time again. I see, and think of a total new approach. It makes a Dramatic impact to where the subject is placed when there is nothing more then a plain background to compromise a simple subject. 

 Although 3 photographs are required here. I am going to throw in some more. As when I am doing underwater photography. More then often I am face with this exact problem.
When it come to just a picture of a sea creature. Be it a fish or a Nudybranch.       ( Slug) I see many of my photographs looking like documental pictures, and nothing so artistic. Boring to say the least 

Here are two classic examples :






One can be over whelmed by the subject and colour. Looking at these photos, They are more a reference photograph then of something of beauty. To much in the centre, and very Static. 

So Back to my Exercise ! 

Picture 2 


A mollusk creeps across the morning sand. Leaving a pattern in the sand. taking the picture with the point to the left bottom corner makes the picture more interesting. As the old saying. dead in the center. Bringing life to the subject. More visual Impact A 680 




Locks .I took many like this. Some rich in colour,  others rust and old. 
This one captured my eye . The pastel colour .More to the eye. The locks shining and some how, giving a resting mood.  

Placing the locks to the right made the picture come together. at a slight angle breaks the  continuos repetition of static lines.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers